Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hup, Holland, hup!

Kees, a Dutchman, asked to exchange some stamps with me. I believe he's about the third so far. I always enjoy using a bit of Dutch, as it's my mother tongue. I spoke nothing else before the age of 5. I used my Dutch middle name to prove that point - otherwise you can't tell - and so Kees's envelope is the first to bear the name of my maternal grandfather, for whom I am named.
I was a little apprehensive . . . in my opinion Dutch stamps include some of the most boring definitives in the world!


I was pleasantly surprised to see this artistic and colorful array of postal art from my parents' homeland. Even though, in the football sweepstake, I got given Brazil as my team, I hope that Holland wins the world cup in 2010 (as I thought they would in '74 and '78).  Yes Kees, they are "naar mijn zin".

Bedankt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment