Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Oranje without oranges

One of my paternal great great uncles is said never to have eaten an orange "because they come from Spain" a country against which the Netherlands fought a war back in the fifteenth century or thereabouts. I, on the other hand, in spite of their victory over Holland in the final of the 2010 Soccer World Cup, bear the Spanish no such animosity. But it was with a certain amount of poignancy that I received my first letter from the home country after that loss.

Kees Prooij sent me a second selection of Dutch stamps - 150 this time. I've reciprocated with another batch of NZ stamps.


A few of the enclosed stamps featured 'voetball', so I arranged the entire selection according to colour on a field of organge (an old Vita Rich tee-shirt). They look like a winning team, don't they?




No comments:

Post a Comment