Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Thirty-three comes up trumps


I've dealt with Dean Brown before. He deals with stamps in bulk - is sorting his way through a 40 pound box - and does me the honour of sending large quantities of them my way. His rationale is to convert his duplicates into stamps that might attract his kids.


I hope he's not fighting a losing battle. His girls have reached the stage of being interested in boys ipods, cell phones and texting. They want to take a break from stamps collecting. As a father that makes you want to cry. Only one thing for it Dean, adopt me!

Just a comment or two about some of the stamps I received: one stamps from Holland was the one above (the picture is from the Internet). The stamps is a common one, overprinted with the Dutch word 'watersnood' meaning water need. It came out in 1953, the year that there was a breach of the dyke system and a huge flood in the country. The following year my mother immigrated to New Zealand where she met Dad, who had also immigrated a few years earlier from a different part of The Netherlands.

I was also very pleased with a selection of stamps from the Domincan Republic. I've been interested in them ever since I bought one featuring President Trujillo from a circuit book a few months ago. I don't know - they have that indefinable air of authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment