Search This Blog

Friday, April 30, 2010

Catch 22 (and what a catch!)

I was a little apprehensive concerning my 22nd exchange. I had agreed to return 500-odd stamps for approximately the same number. Would I be able to rustle up that quantity on my side? I determined not to let myself loose on the parcel that Dean Brown sent me until I had at least reciprocated in kind.

Dean had originally contacted me on behalf of his kids. He has a forty pound box filled with all sorts of stuff - donated, and broken down collections - that he keeps for a kids' stamp club. He is interested in exchanging the stuff they aren't interested in for pretty stamps, anime, and topical along the lines of monkeys, frogs etc.

Much of the first lot I received is British Commonwealth, but with decent dollops of worldwide New Foundland, Nauru, Bermuda, Barbados, Latin America, China, old Canada, USA, Spain . . . Too much and too many to describe (I'd rather be sorting and identifying if the truth be known (what country might HRVATSKA be? Thanks to Armin I now know that it refers to Croatia).


Dean asked for nothing of his lot to be returned, but for me to pass along anything that I didn't need. I won't pass on his philosophy though; I would rather adopt it. He wish is for the exchanging business to be fun - i.e. not a business - and for everyone concerned to end up happy. He wrote:

I want you to be more than happy with the stamps I send you. If you are not "PLEASE LET ME KNOW". I want you to feel you are getting a far or great trade with me. 

Isn't that a refreshing attitude? Dean isn't interested in tallying up exact numbers or quantifying the price. If he sends $100 worth, and I send $50, then the next time it may be $50 for $100. I am hopeful that we will continue trading, and that the never-ending box never runs dry! 

Finally, Dean joked about the Boss, A.K.A the wife, being a bit disgruntled with his hobby. But I know she supports him as she is the one that goes to post the mail. Good on both of the Browns for encouraging stamp collecting in the younger generation. I tip my hat off for you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment