Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Letter (of the Alphabet is A . . . for Austria!)




After answering over 50 emails from people wishing to exchange stamps, and then corresponding further to establish details regarding country, number, period, definitives or commemoratives, the first letter to arrive was from Austria.
Edna Chin has hurried to get the letter posted on the birthday of Max Weiler, which makes this a first day cover. I tried to reciprocate and enclose some priority stickers (Airmail or F
ast Post) and to include postage stamps on the cover from the giant animals set. However, I mistakenly used a very recent (2010) $2.30 stamp of a dinosaur - possibly NZ's largest-ever-issued stamp. 

 
 Edna protected the stamps inside a windowed 'private and confidential' envelope and enclosed a summery postcard to guard against folding. The stamps have a classic feel to them and comprise several part sets. The 1s castle stamp (2nd from the right in the top row) has the world record for being printed on four separate occasions using four different processes.

All in all, an auspicious day!

Postscript: Although I posted back within a couple of days, my stamps still haven't reached Edna. But some airmail stickers that I won on an online auction and asked to be forwarded to her have. Edna asks that her name and address are mentioned in this post - could lead to a few other exchanges for her . . .

Edna Chin
Nordmanng 27/3/34
1210 Wien
Austria
Europe


Several weeks later . . . my envelope to Edna did not arrive. We suspect that I might have overlooked writing 'Europe' on the envelope, and that it was sent to Australia. Edna asked if I could send her a cover with the Ancient Reptiles set used as postage, and that she would send me something for that. I did so, including a few more stamps as it seemed a shame to send an empty envelope, making sure to write the full address.

When I tried to have it registered at the post office, I was told that I'd have to buy a special plastic registration bag in which to put the envelope. I didn't want to do that, as th
en the stamps would then not get cancelled. I asked the woman at the counter to make sure that the letter went to Austria, not Australia, and she became quite defensive/aggressive! She told me that NZ Post could not guarantee that mail arrived at its destination, as it could go missing at so many points along the way. When I told Edna about it she asked whether it would put me off stamps collecting. 

Anyway, the mail did get through (this time).

Update: A couple of months later, I find the original letter back in my letterbox - returned to sender. The label tells me that the letter is insufficiently addressed. It is not, as you can see above.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment