Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Yen for Japan


I wasn't intending to, but I've developed a liking for Japanese stamps. Of course it helps that my wife is Japanese, and that I enjoy the food and culture.
But with stamps it began when I went to sort out all the stamps that I had of that country. It was quite a straightforward matter. Japanese definitives are of a small standard size. There is quite a difference between them and the commemoratives. I sorted the former group first according to face value, and the the other.
The Japanese stamps, I quickly discovered, are so colorful and elegant. I found sorting them rather addictive and soothing. When I come to arrange them onto the page I will probably do so to make the most of their colour. Above is a loose arrangement of the 49 most common stamps that I have of the land of the rising sun. Common they may be, but to me they are uncommonly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment